Skip to main content

Check out this amazing pinup art by @retromagicphotography

 

When did you started to do photography? And was the pinup theme always interesting for you or you had some different interests before?

I trained as a fine artist and sculptor and worked and Those mediums for many many years.

About a dozen years ago, my uncle was moved to a veterans nursing home near me. I would go visit him weekly and he would talk about His time in World War II mostly mostly.

He started sharing stories about singing in a big band and about painting nose art on planes for the US Army air Corps.

I thought that was pretty cool as I had always loved classic pinup art. He told me he love for me to paint a few it’s for his room. I reached out to a friend and we shot photos like Gil Elvgren would and I painted one for my Uncle. He loved it!

I loved so many of the poses and ideas we shot that I wanted to paint a dozen more but the thought of 15 hours of painting on each was not possible. 

So I began to toy with the idea of learning a work flow in Lightroom, photoshop and digital painting to recreate the look. The workflow keeps evolving to this day. I spend 2-4 hours on most images I create now!


In our private chat you said, that you don’t want to reveal your identity. At least, can you tell me where are you from, and do you like place where you are currently living.

Retromagic studio though temporarily closed is located in sunny Florida! Close to the beach, and theme parks. Two things I dearly love!

What was the last movie you watched?

Disney’s Jungle Cruise.

Which three places would you like to visit?

Places I’d like to visit- I used to travel quite a bit and am happy to a homebody now! But if you’ll indulge my imagination, I’d like to go back in time and meet Gil Elvgren in Siesta Key Florida in the early 70’s! (My artistic inspiration)
Then off to New York City, 1963 to meet Stan Lee!
Finally off to California in the early 50’s and meet Walt Disney, another hero of mine!

What is the most interesting story from your childhood?

Lol no interesting childhood memories.

Do you have favourite photo?

That’s like picking a favorite child. The internet and followers tend to hit the like button the most for things that are revealing or implied nudes but often my favorites are not like that at all. I always love anything I shoot with @bebecailberr as she has the perfect Elvgren look!

And I really like this one I shot late last year.

How difficult finding pinup models?

At first I started working with a few friends and then friends of friends; Most of whom worked in entertainment at the Orlando theme parks like Disney and Universal studios. 

I’ve now worked with many many Clients and wish I had time to work with all those who requested collaborating with me. Due to Covid and other circumstances I’ve closed my studios for now. 

When I reopen, it may just be working with that original small group of friends as the art can be very time consuming.

You can follow @retromagicphotography on Instagram.

Want more content? Check my another post!

https://peopledifferentblog.blogspot.com/2021/08/moon-cosplayer-from-cambodia.html

Comments